Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Milt Kahl Day

This is Kay, a character from Sword in the Stone that Milt designed and animated almost all scenes.  Sword in the Stone is one of my favorites, not much for story but for it's animation style.  I love all the designs done  entirely by Milt and there are some great sequences like the introduction to Madam Mim, the Wizard's duel and the Squirrel sequence that was animated by Frank Thomas.

Here in this film the animation that Milt did was boiled down to the essence.  There are some great contrast in the way he animated the characters, like Mim and Kay for example and Wart and Merlin.

In these drawings of Kay you can see again great staging, silhouette, shapes and caricature.



3 comments:

  1. I like the sword and the stone storyline for its simplicity.Except the tag on ending.
    The animation and design ,both Character and background design are wonderful.Love the pencil work of the xrox and the color styling.Do you know who's color style it was? I thought Ken Anderson.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely one of my faves, I love how Milt did hands and feet, so expressive, beautiful!

    ReplyDelete